Wednesday, September 12, 2012

A Prelude to Christmas: Love, Forgiveness, Time

I heard my first Christmas song yesterday, just in time for the start of the ber months. But the weather didn't coincide with the festive feel of the song. Yesterday was very humid and Mr. Sun I guess, was on steroids. Even then, everytime the ber months officially start, I get excited for the upcoming holiday season. It gives us all a reason to celebrate. We all have more reasons to see our friends, family and relatives, to take a halt from dieting and to burn those credit/debit cards. As for me, I can only relate to the first one I mentioned. Haha. Christmas' meaning for me is Celebration. They are partners. They go well together just like Kare Kare and Bagoong. Champorado and Tuyo. Heee.

What I hate about the ber months are the traffic jams it creates in the streets and the sea of people everywhere. Come October, people start panic buying. I don't have anything against it because I, for one is guilty. It's just that I feel that most of us are always rushing. Most of us get blinded by the material things that we forget the real reason why we are on a festive mood. 

CHRISTmas is a time for giving. Growing up, this has been instilled to us. From our parents to our teachers to the priests doing homily during simbang gabi. For me, CHRISTmas is a time for giving LOVE. What's good about love is that it's priceless. We don't have to spend anything.  I don't have anything against spending because I love buying things I want. What I'm trying to say is that we should look beyond the material things. Yes, we can show our love by the gifts we give but at the end of the day, it's the immaterial love that matters. We just have to make people close to our hearts, feel it. After all, a dose of hug won't burn holes in our wallets. 

We can also show our love by forgiving and asking for forgiveness. CHRISTmas is a time FOR GIVING, right? It's high time to say goodbye to all the resentments in our hearts. Let's not wait for that moment we would utter the word 'sayang'. It's easier said than done, I know because I'm a person who rarely say sorry when it comes to personal matters. That I would have to change. It's the pride that I would have to let go. 

CHRISTmas is for giving TIME. The holidays should not be the sole reason for seeing our friends and family. Days wherein I spend time together with them, eating and catching up with everyone's life is precious to me. It makes me teary-eyed when I see my family and friends complete in one table. I understand that it's hard nowadays to do that. Like for me, my mom is not here with us because she's working abroad. I got used to it already but we're very luck because she can go home every year or even anytime she wants. But when she's here, we make sure we make up for lost time. Giving time for someone or something is for me, giving importance. When someone or something is important to you, you make an effort to give time. It's just that most of us are busy with our own lives that we tend to forget. Let's not wait again for the moment we would utter the word, 'sayang'.

I always tell God that despite everything, I am always blessed by Him because I have my family whom I know, will always be there no matter what, friends whom I don't see much often but makes an effort to make you feel, 'hey, I'm always here for you' and Jap who sees me beyond my shortcomings. They are the reason why I'm writing this. I am blessed beyond words and material things. Christmas is a celebration of love and everything that follows from it.

I hope everyone of us would find the real meaning of CHRISTmas. I know you know it. Just open your eyes and heart and I'm sure you will. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment